Ref NoGSL/GD
TitleRecords of the Geological Society Club
Date1824-2006
LevelSeries
Extent14 boxes
FormatDocument
DescriptionRecords of the Geological Society Club, 1824-2006, including:
Geological Society Club meeting books, 1824-1964; Minutes of the Geological Society Club Committee, 1903-1999; Annual reports, 1903-1945; Rules of the Geological Society Club, 1824-1995; Membership lists, 1858-1926, 1983-1989; Attendance registers, 1884-2006; Financial records, 1824-2006; Menus, 1888-1927, 1974; Records of special or anniversary meetings, 1874-1974; Correspondence and administrative files of the Secretary and Treasurer, 1855-1995; Notes and statistics, compiled by Hilary Bauerman, on the history of the Geological Society Club, [1860-1904]; Printed histories of the Geological Society Club, 1973, 1995.
Administrative HistoryThe Geological Society had originally formed as a 'Geological Dinner Club' at the Freemason's Tavern, Great Queen Street, London, on the 13 November 1807. However whilst the Society flourished, attendance at the Dining Club rapidly declined. A fine of 10s 6d was imposed for non attendance without prior warning, but by 1809 the total stood at £37 16s of which only £6 6s had been received. By around 1811, meetings of the Club had ceased.

The present Club was revived in 1824 by 30 members of the Society, some of whom had attended the previous Club. The first meeting was held at the Thatched House Tavern, St James' Street, on 5 November 1824. The rules on establishment limited membership to 40, however this number was never achieved during its early years and was reduced to 36 members in 1836. From 1904, the membership was gradually raised and by 1999 stood at 202 members.

Fellowship of the Society was, from the first, an essential qualification, however subsequent classes of supernumerary and honorary ranks were introduced later. Guests could be invited, unless the dinners were 'closed meetings' which could only be attended by Club members. In 1973, it was decided that most of the dinners, except for closed meetings, could be open events, that is attended by any Fellow of the Society.

Traditionally, meetings were held on the evenings of every Ordinary Meeting of the Society, but later became monthly. In 2017, the club was reorganised to become one of the Society's specialist groups and is now the Geological Discussion Group.
CustodialHistorySecond accession was wrongly added to the LDGSL series (ref: LDGSL 1095) rather than being integrated with existing material.
ProvenanceThe majority of the collection, as described in 'A review of the archives of the Geological Society Club', by David A Gray, October 1995, was always held by the Society. The second accession, transferred in 2005 from the Liverpool Museum, was originally deposited in the Liverpool Geological Society's archives from the estate of Prof Owen Thomas Jones. A further accession was deposited by Dr A John Martin, Secretary of the Club, January 2000. A further accession in 2014 (still to be processed) was donated by Dave Greenwood, from the papers of J F Kirkaldy and relates to the Club during the 1940s & 1950s.
ArrangementSection has been rearranged in light of two further accessions which indicated clear series.
Access ConditionsAccess is by appointment only. Some records may be restricted under the Data Protection Act. Please contact the Archivist for further information.
LanguageEnglish
Publication NoteThe collection, as it stood then, is described in 'A review of the archives of the Geological Society Club', by David A Gray, October 1995. However much of the pamphlet is out of date due to the further accessions and subsequent rearrangement.
ArchNoteSource: 'Centenary List of the Geological Society Club, 1824-1924', Spottiswoode, Ballatyne & Co Ltd, Oct 1924. Description by John Thackray, revised by Caroline Lam
CreatorNameGeological Society Club | 1824-
Persons
CodePersonNameDates
DS/UK/815JONES; Owen Thomas (1878-1967); geologist1878-1967
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2022